I’ve heard people say – I have set my morning intention – it’s going to be a good day today e.g “despite the forecasted rain – I will manage to have a few laughs with my colleagues today or do something outside the home”
Usually, most of the day goes relatively well – then once the afternoon approaches and we begin to head home from work, leaving some of us between 3-6 hours of free time before going to sleep – not much thought goes into planning yet another lovely evening.
What if between 3-6 hours before going to sleep could be something to look forward every day: Below are some strategies in making the afternoon/evening special:
- Once settled, say out loud or write down 3 things which you are grateful for that happened during the day. e.g it could be that you had the best cup of tea or coffee. Or you managed to go for an after-lunch walk…
- Dinner time: eat one or a few vegetables. It might not sound too appetizing now 🙂 but you’ll feel accomplished that you took/ are taking steps towards better health
- If you live alone, send a thoughtful message to a friend or family member – every couple of days or once a week for a month as a goal. Regular and deep social connection with others is scientifically proven to help us live longer and more joyful lives. If you do live with others – be intentional about smiling and laughing together. Together is better.
- Spend 30 minutes on a hobby.
- If you live somewhere warm and near a beach – enjoy the beach! Sunshine, water ( calms the mind), fresh air, friends or family nearby. Very amazing evening activity.
- Before bedtime: Pray or meditate for 10 minutes before going to sleep. I love this practice.
Life is beautiful – may we live it well with every breath.